Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Color Theory

Color is one of the most subjective elements in all of art, so I've read (not sure where though). It's hard to determine what makes a combination of colors work, but we all know when they don't work. I tend to pick two or three colors and stick with them for everything. Red and yellow were my colors for a long time, but recently I've gone more muted and soft with my color choices.

For the short I'm working on currently, I started with a pale blue for the background color. I've been using various forms of this color for sometime now. It's a very popular color choice currently, and is an easy go to color.



Next, I needed a color for outlines. Kirby, the bear, is outlined in dark tan. His nose is brown and his eyes and mouth get the same dark grey.



Then, I choose a colors for the fill. These are basically off shots of the line color. I like to use pantone colors whenever possible. So, once I've established a color I'll go into my color library and choose a color close to the original.



Finally, I add the shading and highlights. Again, these are just off shoots of the line color, or in some cases the line color itself.



The shading/highlights seems to be taking up the majority of the process time. In order to speed up production, I'm creating the line and fills for all scenes first. I plan to come back later and add the shading/highlights. This again goes back to the assembly line style of production I am so fond of.

Thanks again to everyone who's keeping up with the blog, and also to my newest (FOURTH) follower. Knowing somebody is out there interested in what I'm doing, keeps me posting, and creating. Cheers!