Thursday, February 11, 2010

Ode to Yogi

Seeing as how I'm creating a bear themed animation, how could I not have been inspired by the most famous animated bear, Yogi. I decided to add a subtle nod to Yogi in the animation. I can't tell you how, so you'll have to watch the short and see for yourself.

And speaking of inspiration, one of the most influential animators for me, Bill Plympton, has recently start a blog with fellow animator Patrick Smith. I moved to Portland, OR a few years back, and didn't even know he lived here. One of the first things I'd did here was attend a screening of his feature film Hair High. I always get awkward in social situations, and even though he was there and had a Q & A session after the showing, I never said anything, or even got up to shake his hand. A year or so later, I saw him at an animation festival. I sat next to him at a screening (I don't remember what it was) and again said nothing to him the whole time. I think it's silly to go up to someone you admire and gush all over them. Maybe one day, I'll meet him and get the courage to actually talk to him.

Finally today, I wanted to point out John K also has a blog, although his has been around for sometime. He too, has been a great inspiration in my work. There are many others, that have influenced me, but I should really get back to work now. I'll try and cover more obscure animators in the future.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Did you finish the animation? Am I totally missing something? Or are you talking about the future? I am so confused.

ShyAsAMouse97 said...

I think its really cool what your doing. My mum my brother and I are all really big anamation freeks, and well I think you are really good so keep it up!!:>:>:>