Sunday, July 16, 2006

M High Plains Drifter

Montana is even bigger than u think. Crossing a state typically has taken me 5-6 days. It took me 10 days to get to Missoula, which is where I'm at now, and I still have about half a day left in MT. Not only is the state big, but so are the people, terrain, and weather. Many people I've come across have been larger than life, with huge hearts and open minds. The terrain has changed so drastically from east to west in MT. This state has it all desert, plains, rolling hills, and mountains. While the wind and heat have been brutal. I've been told time and time again by cyclists I see heading east, that say I'm doing it the hard way heading west. I knew the head wind would be a factor but never did I expect it to be such a major facor in this ride.
Through all the struggle, though I've managed to make it to the rockies. I crossed the continental divide a few days ago, and have passed the 3000 mile mark as well. My saddle is cashed, but with just 2 weeks left I've decided to stick with it. There is still so little I've been able to put into words on this blog, about the trip. Typing into a little keypad on my cell prohibits a lot of detail, but still so much has happened, its hard to even rember it all. I hhave been keeping a journal though. And when I get settled into Portland, I hope to elaborate on all the exciting things that I have experinced. Until then, I hope all of you are doing well and are making the most of youe time. Will write again soon when I've crossed the rockies.